Then you have the other, more obscure and mostly unbelievable reasons. So this Christmas we have researched our handovers and found the top ten worst reasons for handing over a dog - and yes, they are all true...
- My dog doesn’t match the sofa.
- The dog looks evil and has different coloured eyes, just like David Bowie.
- My black dog doesn’t match new white carpet, can we swap him for a white dog?
- My current dog is too old, can we swap for a puppy or younger model?
- My dog ate the Christmas turkey cooling on the worktop.
- My pet guinea pig got worried with a dog in the house.
- The dog opened all the presents on Christmas Eve.
- The owner accidently knelt in dog wee while cleaning it up so brought the dog in the very next day.
- The puppy was bought as a present for elderly couple with dementia.
- The owner was paranoid about recent bad press on Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and the dog was given up through no fault of its own.
and my own personal favourite
" We couldn't bond with the dog" - They had had him 90 minutes!