Wednesday 20 October 2010

Guest post: Martin Usborne - 'MUTE: the silence of dogs in cars'

Photographer, supporter, and dog-lover, Martin Usborne, has something he wants to talk to everyone about. Take it away, Martin!

I hope you can come to my unique photography exhibition this thursday in East London. The exhibition is called 'MUTE: the silence of dogs in cars' and consists of images of dogs in cars at night taken in a very lush cinematic way and framed at a huge size. See above and below for some example images.

I took the photos for two reasons: firstly because I was once trapped in a car as a child and the feeling of being alone and without a voice has stayed with me for a long time but secondly because I'm very much aware that many animals are voiceless and mute at the hands of humans. These images are both about the loneliness and voiceless that we humans often feel but also a plea to listen more to the voices of animals.

I chose to photograph dogs because I am a dog owner myself (I have am mini schnauzer called Moose who will be at the opening) but also because they symbolism of dogs stuck in cars - as sign of helplessness - is well understood by most people. The pictures were all taken at night, however, because I was keen not to make a point about leaving dogs in hot cars, but wanted the images to be more poetic and universal.

I'm really proud of these images, they've had a lot of attention in the media and I've decided to give 10% of all print sales to Dogs Trust to help in the terrific work that they do.

For this reason it would mean a lot to me to have any supporters of Dogs Trust to come to the show opening (or the show that continues over the next three weeks) and they are more than welcome to bring their dogs.

Exhibition details:


‘MUTE: the silence of dogs in cars’

Opening night: 21st October 2010 7:00-9:30pm (dogs welcome, free wine
served)

Exhibition continues 22nd October – 9th November 2010 (Mon – Fri only
9:00-6:30)

theprintspace,
74 Kingsland Road
London
E2 8DL

For press enquiries or further information please contact Martin Usborne
on +44(0)7747 607930 / mail@martinusborne.com / http://www.martinusborne.com/


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very very nice photo's....id love one as a picture on my wall as a canvas!!!!....x

Lyn Wood said...

These are fantastic photos, sad and shows the message but in a funny way they are beautiful as well. Congratulations and well done, only wish i could make the exhibition to see more.

Hilary Blake said...

Wonderful, photo's that grab you, sorry I can't come as i live in ireland but hope it goes well. Lucy Greenfield

Anonymous said...

sad photos :( I think. I have 2 dogs and as soon as I pick the car keys up they are at the door to be in the car before I am !.The times I don`t take them with me they create something terrible in the house.....

Anonymous said...

really good pictures,good luck with your exhibition,i would love to go but unfortunately i cant,hope your and your doggie have a great night