Monday 2 July 2012

Daniel the Spaniel gets his Pet Passport


Daniel writes (interpreted by Deana Selby):

I’ve been told I’m going on holiday with my family, over the sea to a place called France.  I don’t know what ‘France’ is, but I’m told it’s pretty and my vet said that dogs are allowed into all the restaurants – I’m salivating already!


Owner took me to see my vet last night; he is very nice and has a calm voice, so I didn’t even notice when he stuck the needle in my side.  The owner says it was my rabies vaccination, and that because I’ve had this I’ll be able to go to France in three weeks’ time.  All I know is it hurt for half a second and then I got two biscuits from the nice vet man.  Result!


He also scanned my microchip, which gave a good bleep, and had a long chat with my human about buying me a special collar to wear before, during and after my holiday, to protect me from sandflies.  They sound ghastly, so I’d be happy to wear an extra collar if it means I won’t get bitten.


My human also bought me a worming tablet, and the vet gave me an all over check up, pronouncing me in tip top condition and fit to travel.  The humans had a chat about finding a vet in France, which owner must do more than 24 hours but less than 5 days before I come back to England.  It was something to do with tapeworm treatment.  I wasn’t terribly interested so had a tete a tete with the vet’s Cairn terriers, Betty and Zorg.  Humans do go on a bit.


Anyway, here is my new pet passport - do you like it?  I think I’m terribly handsome, and I believe any country would be honoured to let me through their borders.


I’ll let you know what happens on my holiday, the owner says we’ll be setting off in July.  I am learning to bark in French in the meantime. 

A bientot,

Daniel le Spaniel



Travelling with your dog and unsure what you need to do? Visit Defra's website for the latest information.

4 comments:

lawrence said...

Have a happy holiday in France, Daniel.

Alfie - Alfie's blog said...

Roooo I got my own passport when I was a little pup and tried it out for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Holidays with the humans was so much fun, I hope you'll have a great time too! *waggy tail*

PupLover357 said...

Hope you have a great time! *licks a doggie lick at Daniel*

Unknown said...

Lovely post! I hope you had a great time in France Daniel! I have not taken my dog overseas yet but this post has inspired me to look into getting her a pet passport!