Thursday 29 November 2012

Barking Berry's Bakery is 9 year old supporter's brilliant idea to help dogs


We thought we'd take a break from telling you Dogs Trust news to hand over to one of our most determined supporters, 9-year-old Scarlett Berry, whose Christmas appeal from her fundraising bakery supports Dogs Trust Merseyside. We recommend watching the great video on her Facebook page!

Hello my name is Scarlett Berry and I am 9 years old. In the last 12 months I have raised over £2500 for north west animal charities by making and selling dog and cat treats.

I have wanted to be a vet since I was 4 years old. I know I have to try very hard at school to be a vet but I asked our vet, Mr Nolan, what else I could do. He told me that I needed to get involved.

I had a cookery book for dog biscuits that mum had bought me so I suggested making treats and selling them at local rescues. I decided to call my business Barking Berry's Bakery (BBB).

At our first event, I made £100 for a local sanctuary and now I regularly make around £150 per day. The most money I have raised in one day was at Dogs Trust Merseyside open day in July. I sold out of biscuits in two hours and raised over £170.

To make sure the animals in my chosen charities have a treat on Christmas Day, I have set up a Christmas appeal. People make donations to Barking Berrys for their chosen charity and then I give the donation and the amount of treats their donation would buy to their chosen charity. I am going to deliver the treats and the money in my Santa suit the week before Christmas.

So, as well as buying your own pets a treat this Christmas, please remember those in rescues and visit the Barking Berry's Bakery facebook page to make a donation.

We wish Scarlett all the best with her brilliant Christmas appeal, and warmly thank her for all her support and dedication to animal welfare. We know you'll make a brilliant vet one day, Scarlett!

No comments: