We have appointed five new Education & Community Officers across the country to help educate local children about safety around dogs and responsible dog ownership. These appointments were made possible due to funds provided by players of People’s Postcode Lottery!
|Ruth Thomas (ECO for East London) with Education dogs Jasmine and Fudge.|
The new Education and Community Officers (ECO's) based in London, Manchester Edinburgh and Southern England will join team of 22 staff across the UK who visits schools in their areas to engage with young children to promote safety around dogs to ensure they understand the responsibility of owning a dog. Our Education team has reached over 100,000 children to date and the generous support from players of People’s Postcode Lottery will help the charity reach even more of the dog owners of tomorrow.
Ruth Thomas, Dogs Trust Education and Community Officer for East London comments:
“I can’t wait to visit more schools in East London to share the important messages of staying safe around dogs and being a responsible dog owner. I feel very lucky that this role enables me to combine what I absolutely love doing - working with young people - whilst promoting my love of dogs, an important cause that I care passionately about.
“It is so important that we support the next generation of dog owners to help them understand the responsibility of owning and caring for a dog and I am proud to be a part of this. The children love learning about how to approach and stroke a dog safely and even get to practice on my dog Fudge who adores children and accompanies me on school visits.”
Hazel Johnstone, Trusts Manager at People’s Postcode Lottery added:
“We are delighted that players of People’s Postcode Lottery are able to help fund Ruth’s role to teach children across London how to interact and care for dogs. It is evident, through the number of children they teach these important skills, that Dogs Trust Education and Community Officers provide a valuable role in the community.”
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People’s Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes while raising money for charities and good causes local to them.
- People’s Postcode Lottery is an External Lottery Manager and manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different causes supporting a range of good causes. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under certificate nr 829-N-102511-007 and 829-R-102513-007, dated 06 November 2012. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
- People’s Postcode Lottery players support the following Trusts – Postcode Green Trust, Postcode Care Trust, Postcode Culture Trust, Postcode Animal Trust, Postcode Heroes Trust, Postcode Global Trust and People’s Postcode Trust. These Trusts are funded entirely by players and support a variety of charities. For further information on each charity, visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/Charities
- 45p from every £2 ticket goes to good causes and players have raised over £33.2 Million for good causes across the country
- There are five draws a month with prizes every day and each ticket costs £2 – paid monthly in advance by direct debit. For further prize information, visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/Prizes
- Maximum prize per ticket is £400,000 or 10% of draw proceeds and all prizes are awarded by ticket
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit or credit card online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5.