Monday, 19 April 2010
What's the connection between Dogs Trust and asparagus recipes?!
Why the Evesham Abbey Great English Asparagus Run of course!
You might have heard that Dogs Trust Evesham is running a trial of extended opening hours on a Friday night; the centre will be open 12pm-7pm on Fridays (just this centre and just Fridays at the moment, take note!). To mark this, the centre is taking part in the British Asparagus Festival.
An 8-week-old Spaniel x Boxer pup at the centre has been named Gus in honour of the veg (you can see his cute face on the left there!), and visitors who book or rehome a dog between 4pm and 7pm on a Friday will receive a bunch of the seasonal veg alongside a helping of free dog food for their new addition.
Staff have even invented a special asparagus recipe so dogs can join the celebrations. Eckington Manor Cookery School will prepare and serve the dish to all canine visitors at the Great English Asparagus Run at Evesham’s Abbey Park on 23rd April (St George's Day).
To make the most of the veggie goodness, you can get your dog in on the act with the canine-friendly recipe below:
Dogs Trust’s Chicken and Asparagus Delight
• 225 grams potatoes
• 225 grams asparagus
• 110 grams celery
• 1 chicken breast (250 grams)
• 240 grams chicken/vegetable stock
• 2 Tbsp flour
• Peel and dice the vegetables
• Boil for 3-5 minutes until they go soft
• Add cooked chicken to the saucepan
• Whisk the flour into the cold stock
• Add the stock to the pan and simmer for 10mins, stirring occasionally
• Remove from heat and place in a dog bowl. Serve at room temperature.