Friday 1 October 2010

eBay for Charity and auction fundraising

Have you heard about this fantastic new initiative from eBay? eBay for Charity is an easy way for buyers and sellers on eBay.co.uk to support their favourite charities. Buyers can shop for items knowing they’re supporting a good cause, be it an everyday bargain or a special auction. Sellers, whether they’re individuals or businesses, can donate a percentage from any sale to a charity of their choice and add Gift Aid to their donations. It's a great way to raise money and show your support!

During the month of September, the three UK charities with the highest number of “favourite” designations were awarded £5,000, £3,000, and £2,000 respectively. Luckily for us and due to the kind work of our generous supporters, we came in 2nd place! We're very fortunate and grateful to eBay for Charity for this opportunity and a big thank you to everyone who made it happen!

This leads me to introduce you to Daniel Aherne who is currently looking to donate 70% of the proceeds from his eBay sale to us (so generous!). I'll let him take it from here:

I am a Brighton-based actor with my own theatre company, Crimson Horse Theatre which I co-run with fellow actor Sascha Cooper. This piece is my first foray into sculpture and indeed art in general. I created the sculpture as a reflection of the economical effects caused by having banks attaching vast interest to the money they provide countries with, causing an endless cycle of debt. It also reflects the problems faced by a society in which banks are not properly regulated and as a result have to be bailed out by their states.

I have assigned 70% of the sale price to Dogs Trust because from before I was born my parents kept rescued dogs and they remain a tremendously important part of my life to this day. Dogs Trust is a fabulous cause doing great work that I feel is especially important as we humans have a responsibility to care for this planet and everything living on it, and having recklessly bred dogs for specific roles for so long I feel we humans have an even greater duty to look after them.

You can see Daniel's scuplture on eBay and feel free to share this with any art lovers or eBay fans you know!

No comments: